3Rivers’ 80th Anniversary
Experience 80 Years of Commitment to Our Community
On February 14, 1935, the International Harvester Company Fort Wayne Works Employees Federal Credit Union was organized. With assets of $250, we employed three individuals and were housed in the International Harvester Company office on Pontiac Street and Bueter Road.
In 1947, the credit union reached $1 million in assets and continued to grow. By 1976, we had grown to 11,722 members with $35,746,798 in assets, and by necessity, relocated from IH property to our office on New Haven Avenue.
The early 1980s brought a drastically reduced labor force to International Harvester Company. Credit Union management adopted the name of Three Rivers Federal Credit Union in 1982 and opened the field of membership to other area businesses who were without the benefit of credit union services.
3Rivers has been an industry leader in Indiana:
- Largest credit union in the state of Indiana (1965)
- First federally chartered credit union in Indiana to be designated by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) as a Community Development Credit Union, offering membership to an underserved area of Fort Wayne (1996)
- Opened the first in-store credit union in the state of Indiana (1999)
- First Indiana credit union to join the Shared Branch Network (2000)
- Granted a community charter expansion, allowing anyone who lives, works, or volunteers in the Indiana counties of Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Huntington, Noble, Wells, and Whitley to become a member (2005)
Today we are 70,000 members strong. We continue to look for new ways to serve our members and our communities with innovations such as mobile banking, online bill pay, and EMV chip credit cards.
Our name might have changed but our commitment hasn’t. 3Rivers mission remains: helping people understand money matters, every day. Experience 80 years of commitment to our members and our community.