Fun Money Facts: How Many Currencies Are Used Around the World?
Answer: About 180 currencies are used around the globe today.
Here are just a handful of examples:
- United States: US Dollars ($) and Cents
- Mexico: Mexican Pesos ($) and Centavos
- Canada: Canadian Dollars ($) and Cents
- United Kingdom: British Pounds (£) and Pennies
- France, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain: Euros (€) and Cents
- China: Chinese Yuans (¥ or 元) and Fen
- Australia: Australian Dollars ($) and Cents
- South Africa: South African Rands (R) and Cents
- India: Indian Rupees (₹) and Paisa
- Are you familiar with exchange rates? One US Dollar ($1) for example, is not equivalent to an Australian or Canadian Dollar. Euros and Pounds are worth different amounts and so on. | Find out more about the six factors that influence exchange rates here.
- If you're curious as to what the worth of your currency is in another country, check out this currency converter.
- Get a quick rundown on the history of money here.
- Have a look at a complete list of currencies found around the world here.