Thrifty Thursday: Save Money with Spring Produce
By: Aly Hess
Posted on Thursday, April 2, 2015
Back in September, we discussed how buying seasonal produce can save you lots of money on food preparation. Well, seasons have changed and now it's time to start cooking, baking, and saving money with Spring's in-season fruits and veggies!
Here's a look at the produce you'll be paying less for, and when, this season:
Artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, pineapples, radishes, rhubarb, and spring peas.
Apricots, artichokes, asparagus, cherries, lettuce, mangoes, okra, pineapples, radishes, rhubarb, spring peas, strawberries, swiss chard, and zucchini.
Apricots, blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries, corn, kiwi, lettuce, mangoes, peaches, strawberries, swiss chard, watermelon, and zucchini.
Be sure to stock up on these in-season foods (might we suggest, at a local farmers market) and get creative with how you prepare them! We've rounded up some links with several recipes that include these seasonal goodies.
- Spring Clean Your Diet via Cooking Light
- 40 Easy Spring Produce Recipes via Real Simple
- Healthy Spring Vegetable Recipes via POPSugar
- Spring Produce Guide via Food Network
- Cooking with Spring Produce via Country Living
- Spring Recipes for Seasonal Produce via Food & Wine